| 8 comments ]

Our beloved family dog, Gio, passed away this weekend after having a stroke. He was 16 years old but was very lively up until the end. We were lucky enough to see him twice last month on our two trips to Minnesota, and, aside from being slower after waking up from naps and losing most of his hearing, he acted much like he did when he was a puppy.
My sister and I have adored Gio since we got him as 10 and 6 year olds, respectively. We dressed him in our doll clothes, taught him tricks, took zillions of pictures of him, and had countless Gio-worshipping sessions (in which we told him repeatedly how cute he was). I think you probably would have had to see us around Gio to fully understand the intensity of our love for him (obsession is probably a better term!).
He was a wonderful dog who was loved just about as much as a dog could be. We are all very sad to not have him in our lives anymore, but we are so glad to have been able to spend the last 16 years with such a happy, healthy and loveable dog!
~Sonja

8 comments

Lisa said... @ August 6, 2008 at 1:57 AM

One thing, I think he was loved much more than dog could be. He was definitely more like my younger, inarticulate, extremely hairy younger brother. With horrible halitosis and BO.

Lisa said... @ August 6, 2008 at 2:02 AM

...that I miss more than anything!

Kristi - MOM said... @ August 6, 2008 at 7:58 AM

I agree, Lisa!
There are countless times each day since he has been gone that I remember him. I keep thinking that he will appear around the corner or bark for me - where are you - which he did since he turned deaf. You could always count on Gio being there. He loved anything about being with us - especially if it involved food. And now he is not with us but we are left with memories of a wonderful devoted dog! Thanks for 16 great years, Gio!

Thanks for the remembrance and great pictures, Sonja!

Dol Clothes Gal said... @ August 6, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Just browsed on this site and felt I would like to comment. We love animals in our household and know that pets really become family members. Sorry for your loss but you have some great memories.

Kelly Clausen said... @ August 6, 2008 at 9:41 PM

This post makes me so sad :( It's hard to believe Gio won't be there the next time I visit the Kuhnau house. I'm glad I got to know him for the past 12 years! And I would agree that "obsession" is a better word than "love" in describing your relationship with him. :)

Lin said... @ August 6, 2008 at 10:44 PM

To the entire Kuhnau family -- I was sorry to hear about your loss of Gio. It is great that you have so many pictures and wonderful memories.

Becky Novotny said... @ August 6, 2008 at 11:05 PM

I am so very sorry to hear that Gio has passed on. He was such a big part of your lives for so long. I'm sure it will be very strange for you to not have him around any longer. He will be missed. My sincere condolences. Becky

David said... @ August 6, 2008 at 11:15 PM

I much appreciate the pictures of our dog and the fond memories. My fondest memory is that when I could not sleep and came out to the living room to read, Gio would rush over to sit right by me. He was my night time companion, just him and me. We read a lot of books and attempted to solve a lot of problems together. But we never got a solution for the halitosis.

Post a Comment