| 3 comments ]


Here’s something I never thought I’d say: I love mushrooms.
OK, so there are probably more significant things that I never thought I’d say, like “I have cancer”. But come on!  I’ve hated mushrooms for about a quarter of a century. The fact that I’m now considering them as one of life’s best foods ever is pretty notable.
So, imagine my delight when I returned home from meeting with a friend and my husband had decided to “whip up” some grilled marinated portabella burgers, topped with gorgonzola, balsamic onions, and roasted red peppers on homemade sesame buns.

He also completed the whole feat, from shopping to the table, in a little over 1 hour.
I have the best husband ever.
This burger was amazing. Honestly. Alex based his creation on this recipe for the burgers and this recipe for the buns.

Another way we’ve been enjoying mushrooms lately is based on an appetizer we had at Bonge’s. The basic steps are as follows:
1. Cut up a mixture of mushrooms (we’ve used shitakes and portabellas; if you use shitakes, make sure to remove the stems).
2. Saute the mushrooms with some butter, salt and pepper, and herbs (basil, thyme, oregano, etc.).
3. Add some lemon juice and continue cooking until tender.
4. Garnish with a lemon wedge (for squeezing) and serve.

Delicious!  I’m fully converted.
Sonja

3 comments

Erin said... @ August 26, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I hate mushrooms but those even look good to me :)

PS Those buns take longer than an hour. I'm just sayin is all.

PPS Way to go on the blogging.

Alex said... @ August 26, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Whatever! I pushed the rise time to 30 minutes, and baked 15 minutes, boom!

Kirk said... @ September 5, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Having just devoured some grilled portabellas, I'm hungry for more now after reading this. And we are fortunate enough to be able to attest to how good the mushroom mixture is!

Post a Comment