| 0 comments ]

My mom used to worry about my ability to survive once I was out of the house. Since even Easy Mac challenged my culinary skills, it was a pretty valid concern.

As time has gone along, I’ve gone from eating Hot Pockets every night (yes, I’m serious) to loving the art of cooking natural, nutritious food.

Even though my mom was far away in Minnesota this Mother’s Day, I hope she’d be proud that after years of avoiding the kitchen, I managed a Mother’s Day brunch for my in-laws. (Someday I’ll make one for you too, Mom!)

My favorite recipe of the day for homemade granola (see below). Try it on plain yogurt flavored with a little honey and vanilla.

Happy Mother’s Day!
~Sonja

Homemade Granola
Adapted from Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

1. In a large bowl, mix together 4 cups oatmeal, 2 cups slivered almonds, and 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut.

2. In a small bowl, whisk 2/3 cup vegetable oil and 1/2 cup honey. Pour over oat mixture and stir with wooden spoon to combine.

3. Spread onto cookie sheet.  Bake at 350°F, stirring occasionally, until mixture is golden brown, about 45 minutes (mine got a tad burnt by 45 minutes, so make sure to adjust for your oven accordingly).

4. Remove from oven and let cool, stirring occasionally.

5. Add dried fruit to the cooled mixture – I used 1 cup raisins and 1 cup chopped dates. Store in air-tight container.

0 comments

Post a Comment